The Fire Adapted Communities program supports homeowners, residents, visitors, agencies, and other businesses of the Lake Tahoe Basin. Through education, distribution of educational resources, and planning support the Tahoe RCD empowers individuals to reduce the threat of wildfire within the Lake Tahoe Basin.
The program supports Fire Adapted Communities by:
- Identifies and recruits volunteers for wildfire outreach,
- Provides educational materials to neighborhood leaders,
- Supports neighborhoods to become “fire adapted”
- Assists in coordination and organization of defensible space activities within neighborhoods
- Creates programs to make it easier for people to create defensible space and fire adapted communities- Such as the Rebate Program
- Acts as a liaison for agencies to the public,
- Supports and promotes local fire district services,
- Connects individuals to fire districts and local fuel reduction projects, and
- Hosts workshops, events, and trainings on wildfire awareness.