Conservation Landscaping and BMPs
Lake Tahoe clarity has been declining at a rate of about one foot per year. This declining clarity negatively impacts property values, recreation, tourism, wildlife habitat and aesthetic value. Conveyance of sediment and nutrients from developed areas into local waterways is the primary cause for the decline of water quality in Lake Tahoe. Please remember that everything you do on your property affects the health of our watershed.
What You Can Do!
Implement Conservation Landscaping and BMPs practices to help protect Lake Tahoe in your own backyard.
- Design and retrofit your property to manage stormwater
and reduce soil erosion
- Create and/or expand stream or shoreline buffer areas to
reduce the amount of pollution leaving your property
- Use native and adapted plants
- Limit lawn size to functional use such as defensible space buffers
and child pay areas
- Use lawn fertilizer with care
- Manage soil nutrition by improving soil conditions and
through the use of mulch
- Update and maintain your lawn irrigation system to limit water
waste and nutrient rich runoff
- Landscape for wildfire protection by implementing
a defensible space plan
- Control and eradicate invasive weeds
- Properly dispose hazardous and solid wastes
How Tahoe RCD Can Help!
The Tahoe RCD can guide California homeowners, contractors and property managers through the TRPA Best Management Practices (BMP) retrofit ordinance and help you practice stewardship to protect the beauty and value of Lake Tahoe.
Types of assistance available:
- Site specific BMP retrofit plans and assistance – Request services below
- BMP retrofit final inspections – Request services below
- BMP contractor and landscaper support – Contact us
- Site specific irrigation efficiency evaluations – Request services below
- Sustainable turf management and turf conversion -
Request services below
- Defensible space education with local fire professionals -
Request services below
- General conservation landscaping - Request services below
- Conservation and BMP workshops and classes – View Calendar
- Invasive weed resources – Click here
- On-line resources – Click here
- Demonstration Gardens – Click here
- Community educational events - View Calendar
- Lake Tahoe Master Gardener support – Click here
- Community stewardship activities – Volunteer Here